Wednesday, March 17, 2010

No, I'm not asleep at the wheel...

This is a "dead man's switch" update, mainly to show that I'm still actively working on the project. My main area of focus at this particular point is the first boss battle. Since I'm going with heavily scripted and animated boss fights - it is taking me a while, but the fight in itself is done. All I'm left to do there is complete art and scripting for the intro and the outtro sequences. The first arena art is pretty much done as well, but I am struggling to prevent myself from trying to make it even prettier.
Also - the nearness of this milestone makes me so happy, I want to record a new video to show off my progress, though I realize it is a bad idea to show the game so far away from completion... nahh - not gonna do it. Posting new videos has a tendency to give people impressions that the game is close to be done, while it is far from that.
In other minor updates:
  • Added new elements to the first area of the game - now the background buildings have more architectural variety.
  • Continued working on new animations for Iya. Almost finished with 30+ frame cycle for Iya collecting a new powerup.
  • Started the overhaul of the magic system, though it is now more broken than "better".
  • More map areas added, but not skinned. The game still can't be circumnavigated: (

1 comment:

  1. It's not a bad idea at all! Videos are most likely going to make the people know about the game, (and once they know they'll probably stay, because it looks really amazing!)

    Take an example from these guys: http://blog.wolfire.com/ they already have a huge community, and that's because they show every little change they make. It's fun to read, and even more fun to watch.

    I just found this blog - I'm immidiately going to bookmark it though. And yeah, I wouldn't have known about the game without the youtube videos you made. So... Make as many videos as you can, as long as they look cool - there's nothing to lose :D
    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete